Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Which School

I've been actively hunting law school for about a week now and it seems like it's starting to occupy most of my discretionary thinking ability. My facebook games have been left idle, as has my old ambitions in art. Today, I hunt for one thing.

Today's Hunting: Figured out where, based on GPA do I have the best shot of actually getting into. I did this by using the LASC web site's information on the GPA of entering classes. If you like you can see the link below on what schools I have been considering:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tS3zzwOVzp18L89aPAcIGbQ&output=html

From what I can surmise these 5 schools are in the range for where I can get into:
UCSD: Very Safe Chances
Loyola Marymount: Safe Chances
UC Hastings: OK Chances
UC Davis: I would be lucky
UCLA: Dream School

The good news is that while I stand little chance of actually getting into UCLA or Davis I can always transfer between schools. This is an option relatively few people actually pursue but in reality has much higher acceptance rates than apply your first year in. For example UCLA only accepts 16% although of last year's 300 transfer students 80 got in.

I also finished activating my account for the LASC website. I need to get my hands on 132$ for the LSAT application fee for this September. Hopefully I can finally get my hands on the last remnants of the settlement when I broke my arm in 2003. Now more than ever before I could really use a couple of grand for application cost and other fees.

Letters of recommendation:
Because of how I organized the student petition and was able to at least help in getting Lance Richlin rehired at LCAD he was a natural choice. I'm hoping that the whole episode could be used as an example of stellar extra-curricular work of a pseudo-legal kind, that also shows I'm involved in the school. However I am a little worried about using this story because it could also make me come off as a trouble maker who is likely to give the administration grief. Nevertheless though, schools such as UCLA or Davis are unlikely to accept me unless I have some stellar material for the soft side of my application. The other 3 schools, UCSD, Loyola, and Hastings, are more likely to accept me without me using a wild card like this, so for those schools I wont.

School Loans: I finally finished my Loan Exit Counseling today for LCAD. The piddly $1,800 I owe is soon to balloon to something closer to $130,000 by the end of law school. While this is a huge amount to owe I will have an actual career instead of a BFA to help myself pay it off.

Short Term Goals:

-Find 132$ for the LSAT preferably from my settlement but I will use my credit card if I have to.

-Complete free LSAT exam from June 2007 as practice. Depending on how I score choose what level of prep do I need to do from there. Use results to help refine school pics.

-Decide who else I want letters of recommendation from and call them.

-Call IRS get a copy of my 2008 taxes for possible fee waivers from application fees.

No comments:

Post a Comment