A high LSAT score?
Or is that only a goal in that it can get me into law school?
Getting into Law School then?
Well law school is only a useful place to be so long as it helps you become a lawyer.
Well then being a lawyer must be the goal?
But why do I want that? What's the good in me being a lawyer?
Happiness? It always comes down to that same boring answer. The only reason to do anything boils down to happiness.
Why do I need to be a lawyer to be happy? Or rather why is me being a lawyer sufficient for my own happiness?
A few clues:
How ever I believe being a lawyer will affect my happiness, it would be in a way that is not already being met. For instance it may be the case that I want to be a lawyer because I think having a white collar career will make me happy, since I don't have that right now. Additionally it is NOT the case that I want to be a lawyer because I will be able to live in Los Angeles, since I can do that either way.
Things that would change in my life if I were a lawyer:
-The median income for a lawyer is 60K a year, more than 5 times my present income.
-I would have a job more meaningful than making sandwiches.
-I imagine that lawyers get more respect for their profession than Noah's Bagel's employees do.
-I would have to make a much bigger effort in presenting myself, (for example not going 10 months without a haircut.)
-A typical day at work would be less intense physically but probably much more stressful mentally while also being more mentally exhausting.
-I would get a chance to really help people with real problems they have.
-Because of the specialized nature of practicing law I would probably have more self respect on account of my job.
The first thing to bear in mind is that a law degree opens up worlds of possibilities. You don't need to actually practice law your entire life.
ReplyDelete